Saturday, February 6, 2010

Seroogy's Valentine's Run/Walk-First 5K Ever





Well we did it. Our first 5K ever. We, my husband Tom and I, walked our first 5K. I ran here and there but only to catch up to my hubbie who has a much longer stride than me. Let me tell you it was cold out there today. We live in Wisconsin and it is February so obviously it has potential to be cold but it was cold. It was about 17 degrees at the start of the race but the sun was shining. The wind picked up for a while and then it was even worse. I had on yoga pants, jogging pants, two long sleeve shirts, a sweatshirt, my winter coat and headband, hood up and big winter gloves. Once I started to walk and we got out of the wind I actually got hot. It was fun.

I felt such a sense of accomplishment for doing it. I have to say we have talked about doing a walk before but never followed through with it. But because of joining the sisterhood and reading everyone else's blogs and hearing about all you do I knew I could do it too. I was tired by the time the 2 mile marker was passed but I kept on. I don't have my exact time yet but we finished in 51 minutes something. About a minute after us the people who were running the 15K (9 miles) finished. But it was still really cool to do it and I am proud. We are now talking of doing The Bellin Run in June and I have my mom convinced to do it too. I am not sure if I will run or walk it but we are going to do it. Thanks ladies. I am soo happy the day I found you all. Thanks Jess B. for telling me about them.

Here are some pictures from today. One of me from before we left this morning. One of the crowd before the race (there were at least 1500 people there, even kids who finished before us, like a 5 year old), one of me before the race and one of a sign with the temperature as we were walking.

9 comments:

  1. yikes that's cold!! i did a training walk yesterday in 35 degree weather and i thought that was bad.

    congrats on your first race. :) hopefully the bug has bitten you and this will be the first of many! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! That is so cool that you finally did something besides "talk" about this! So proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Dawn!!! I'm so proud of you for doing your first 5K, AND in 17 degree weather. WOW. Impressive. And your time was awesome.

    WOOOHOOOOO!

    I see many, many more races in your future :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO proud of you! 17 degrees? Okay, I'm going to stop whining about the rain! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! That is definitely something to be proud of!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. squeeeee!!! i'm so sorry im so late but yayyyy!! congrats to you, i warn you: they are addicting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this one.. keep on blogging...

    ReplyDelete